Re: Ads of summers past

In a message dated 6/24/98 12:18:57 AM, dwh@totalnetnh.net wrote:

<<Red Dunn was a local character in Laconia, the sort of person described
by those wishing to be charitable as "colorful."  When not rolling
around the city in his car with American flags flapping in the wind, he
could be found speaking out at municipal hearings or calling up local
talk shows.  He unsuccessfully ran for the mayor's and governor's
offices.  My memory of this man, however, is connected with what I
considered at the time to be the dumbest radio spot I had ever heard.  I
still think it's dumb, and yet...25 or so years later I still remember
the darned ad from WLNH.  The spot mostly consisted of vaguely patriotic
march music, with an announcer blurting out Red Dunn's name every 7
seconds at the end of a musical phrase:  "Da-da-dah-da, da-da-dah-da,
da-da-dah-dah-da-dah-dah-dah, RED DUNN!"  Repeat this several times,
then conclude with the information that if you need your driveway paved,
you should call Red Dunn.  "When it's done by Dunn, it's well done!"
Oh, the memories.>>

Yes, the memories!  Red used to record his own commercials for WFTN when it
was just AM.  One sticks out in my mind is when he was singing and playing(or
trying to) a banjo.  He was singing about his paving business, and the
commercial was downright horrible!  He was totally off key and the banjo
playing really stunk!  Again, it was truly the worst radio spot I've ever
heard.  Needless to say, I didn't hear him do his ads again after that one.

Gary Ford