Re: Super duper doppler deception

- -----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Carter <wcarter@mva.net>
To: Schwoegler, Bruce <BRUCES@boston.cbs.com>;
boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thursday, June 25, 1998 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: Super duper doppler deception

>>The mentality has been seeping into Boston via channel 7.   Don't  be
>>surprised if most news operations open a "superlatives department" in the
>>near future!
>>
>> Where does it end?    I don't know.  It's a "monster" unleashed by
>>"gigantic" people with "terrible" force.  Its "awesome" strength "smashes"
>>even "el nino".   All of us should stay tuned for the "earth shattering"
>>details.
>>
>>Bruce Schwoegler
>
> Brings up an interesting point though...
>
> Too often the Boston radio AND TV news broadcasts ring with the "our news
is better than your news" promotion.
> In actuallity, they should be saying "Our news _Broadcasting_ is better
than your news broadcasting." For the most part the five major Boston TV
stations and _all_ of the radio news outlets (it is so hard to talk with my
tongue so far into my cheek....) are reporting the same stories, so it is
broadcast quality that becomes the differentiating factor.

Here in Florida, I think  the TV sttaions actually ferventyly hope for a
hurricane or two...even now, certain weather people are rehearsing their
acts. For example, how to make their eyes open real wide while warning us
about a hurricane 5 zillion miles away, and taking the advice of weather
ratings consultants such as:

1.  Roll up your sleeves. That implies you're really serious!
2.  Remind us that your Doppler is LIVE (the other station's is not)
3.  Show us hurricane coverage footage from last year (or the best of the
past 10 or so)*

*  This could include meticulously-rehearsed clippings of off-air
rehearsals, with the Doppler programmed to simulate a massive hurricane,
etc. Suggest chroma-keying your most hysterical meteorologist against video
of aome generic storm somewhere, cranking up a fan so his hair will blow,
and spraying water over him from a hose.  The home viewer won't know the
difference!

Laugh if you will, folks, but I truly believe that at least a portion of the
above is absolutely factual. Just like thy can easily chroma-key any network
reporter so that he looks as if he's on the scene of a story, when in
reality, he's in a safe, comfy studio.  THIS HAS BEEN DONE!

:) LOVE IT!  shel

:) shel