4th of July '98 on WRKO

Sarah of WRKO,

I understand your station plans to reprise last years critically
acclaimed 4th of July Music festival - starring WRKO's talk show hosts.
To insure that the quality of this year's offering doesn't succeed in
eclipsing last year's achievment, I offer the following tips:

1. When carting announcers' song intros, don't label them.  Do the same
for the songs.  Just stack them up and use them in any order.  Be sure
to shuffle well after the stack has been played.  This adds an element
of surprise.

2. Don't cart up too many jingles.  One (maybe two) will probably be
enough for the whole weekend.

3. Don't allow anyone with musical taste or knowledge participate in
actually airing the show's components.  That alone could compromise the
integrity of the result.  Remember, unknown song lengths and unexpected
cold-end songs actually help co-op board-ops hone their craft.

4. Be sure your talk hosts pick their own personal, favorite songs. The
issue of a song's actual popularity would only serve to complicate the
artistic and aesthetic aspects of what is obviously a difficult and
time-consuming music selection process.

5. Dead air definitely complements the effect of this type of program.
Don't strive for ultra-tight on-air production - that's like, So 70's.

6. Please, don't use any popular, commercial hit-single versions of
songs that are available in the much less-familiar "Long Album Version".

7. Try to insure that all regular staff (who might be familiar with
format, copy, procedures, etc.) are off for the entire weekend and
unavailable.  This "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" mode of operation
adds a certain "je ne sais quoi" to what could otherwise become a
cohesive, well-planned presentation.

8. Don't fall into the trap of using any announcers that may (at any
time in their careers) have played Top 40 Music in the Boston market.
Listeners would incorrectly assume that your format has changed and tell
their friends - who'll tune in, tell their friends, who'll tune in...
you get the picture.  Imagine their disappointment on Monday the 6th.

9. Finally, don't accept criticism of the show.  Only you know how much
effort, planning and professionalism really goes into it.  Let the show
stand on it's own merits and remember: Never Explain, Never Apologize.

Have a nice weekend.  My wife & I probably won't be around to listen,
but we'll leave the radio on and I'm sure Charlie (our cat) will get a
real kick out of it.  He's really bored by talk radio.

Roger Kirk - professional, radio-broadcast
veteran with beaucoup time on his hands.