Re: 1967 World Series

As insane as '67 was in New Englamd, I think that was the "norm" under the
NBC contract of the time. It obligated use of team anouncers for part of the
radio and TV, and I think it also gave carriage rights to the local team
station as well as the NBC affiliate. What I can't recall is whether that
had changed by '69 -- the year of my beloved Miracle Mets. I know the use of
local broadcasters was still in force (NBC used Lindsay Nelson on TV), but
was the dual-casting still in place? I think only WNBC-4 had the TV, not
WOR-9, but I'm not sure.

Chris Sullivan wrote:

> The 1967 World Series was broadcast by both WCOP and WHDH radio, both
> using the same NBC feed that includued Red Sox broadcaster Ken Coleman.
> WHDH radio produced their own pre and postgame show.  As a matter of
> fact "The Impossible Dream" documentary record about the '67 sox was
> first broadcast as a world series pre-game show on WHDH radio. Also,
> believe it or not, both WBZ-TV and WHDH-TV both carried the NBC feed of
> the game, with Ned Martin and Mel Parnell doing the pre and post game on
> WHDH-TV. I'm sure it went that way because of NBC having the national
> rights and WHDH having the local rights. It was a crazy arrangement, but
> there was nothing ordinary about the Red Sox in that memorable year.
>
> Chris Sullivan
> CJSULLFLA@webtv.net

- --
Douglas J. Broda