No Subject

Still a few hours behind schedule, we pulled in at Bob Bittner
Broadcast Center North, a.k.a. WJTO Bath, where we had a very nice
visit with Bob, Dan Billings, and Tory Gates, and even had a chance to
tape a "Let's Talk About Radio" while we enjoyed the view.

The fog started rolling in as the NERW-mobile headed north on Route 1,
and while it made it impossible for us to see the Rockland
transmitters of WMCM/WRKD and WAVX, we enjoyed our stop at the studios
of the "Classical Wave" and our visit with Jon LaVeen and family.
Commercial classical in Mid-Coast Maine?  Ayuh, and it's doing quite
well, it seems.

We saw the studios of WQSS (102.5 Camden) from the outside, and had a
bit of a surprise when we found the WMCM/WRKD studios a few miles
further south than expected on US 1 -- seems they moved from 415 Main
Street earlier this spring.

The last daylight stop was at the former site of WBME (1230) in
Belfast, which seems to be a condo development now.

Heard along the way...not a lot of great DX, although we did pick up
the sign-off of WNTY (990) from Southington, Connecticut at the
improbable hour of 9:40 PM.  Maybe it was just coincidence that WNTY,
the flagship station of the New Britain Rock Cats, was signing off
right after the game with the Trenton Thunder...but then we tuned up
the dial to hear an unusually strong signal from WJHR (1040 Flemington
NJ) doing its Thunder post-game show.  Hmmm...

On Saturday morning (after we tape some Bangor-area radio...and try to
figure out what's up with WBZN in Old Town; seems the new CHR outlet
is either off the air or inaudible down here in Bar Harbor), we'll
tour the Bar Harbor-Ellsworth area, including a stop at WERU (89.9
Blue Hill), always a favorite of ours when we're in the vicinity.

And then we go WAY down east, through Machias to Calais, Eastport, and
then across the border into Canada, ending up in Saint John for the night.

We'll see you in Canada tomorrow (where you'll get 1.42 NERWs for the
price of one!)

- -=Scott Fybush - NorthEast Radio Watch - (c) 1998=-