Re: News/Talk Feedback

Good points Abyss but let me comment on a few.

<< Much of the postings comments focused on the recent weather problems
 experienced during the past weekend.  Postings stating that Boston was
 "virtually shut down" were simply incorrect.

I beg to differ. I was out driving around running errands early and it quickly
became a mess: Mem Drive, Sturrow Drive Tunnel, Leverett, South Station
Tunnel, SE Exp in places all flooded, the Neponsett and Charles at record
levels, my own street in Mission Hill was completely flooded. It is a VERY
rare thing for the city to declare a state of emergency like that. It has
never happened of this magnitude in the 12 years I lived here and I did hear
weather people say that it was a generational event. While I don't want to
argue semantics, the city for all purposes, was shut down.

 <<Seeing previous postings on Howie Carr and the state of WRKO.   Some
postings
 suggested why doesn’t RKO get rid of Carr and actually put on someone that
 actually makes money for the station.  Have you looked at the ratings for
 Howie compared with the rest of the station?  He’s the reason they’re able to
 sell anything.  Most of the people I hear complaining about Howie think he
 still does his column on the radio and haven’t listened to him recently.
Does
 he do as much politics as before? No.  The public isn’t as interested in it.
 He’s not creating or leading the trend; he’s following it.   They weren’t
 making money paying Clapprood 326K per year.   And the ratings for Katz and
 Darlene just aren’t there.   Rush has peaked and is not climbing anymore.
 The Chicks have peaked.    Maybe we should put the 70 year old guy back on.
 He’s probably the only one on the station that can identify with the 25-54
 year olds we need.

Yes, please, bring back the old guy. But you are also correct: WRKO's ratings
and ad revs are bleeding and Howie Carr, like him or not, is the only thing
keeping the station out of the ER. I have said this before but I will say it
again; the only way they can come back is not to try and compete with FMs for
the teen audience, but to go back to local programming and issue oriented talk
that they once had in Gene Burns and Jerry Williams. Not only that but the
public would better educated for it!

Tony