Re: O+A land on WNEW-FM

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Sven Weil wrote:

> WNEW-FM was leaning towards "alternative" in 1995-96. In 1997, they
> started going back to the same old classic rock. Now they are
> like hovering in the middle between the two extremes>

While 'NEW was leaning towards "AOR/alternative" and sister station
Krock dumped classic rock to go full alternative, it looked like no one
in NYC was going to touch the format until 'AXQ dropped heavy metal in
favor of classic rock in mid-96. And then the fun started. Mel moved 'NEW
back into classic rock direction to go up against Q104. Bad move, IMHO,
considering the fact that Detroit-based consultant, Fred Jacobs who
developed the format in mid-80's officially proclaimed himself(in many
trade publications) that the classic rock formula, as we know it,  is no
longer working for stations trying to sell 25-54 demos around the country.

Now, 'NEW sounds AOR/alternative again with soon-to-be 30-something
Stern-clones behind the mic, replacing veteran jocks like Muni, Herman and
Pat St.John. In addition to O+A, 'NEW is hevily rumored to be bringing in
really weak Stern-clone morning man, former bartender, Joe Taggert from
Long Island's WLIR 92.7FM...

- -M