Re: Boston's Newsradio Void

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 ASchinella@aol.com wrote:

> I really respect Attn. Ross' postings but I think that comparing the early
> days of baseball to the current state of radio is like apples and oranges. In
> order to have competition, you have to have the ability to create a new
> company. There are a limited amount of spectrum band. Radio is not like
> magazines, where if you don't like Newspeak, you create Time, US News, etc.
> You can't just start a radio station (or you'll have armed troops at your door
> like that guy in Tampa!)

One possibility is some plan to legalize micro broadcasters, perhaps with
some set-aside of spectrum space.  Another is Webcasting.  Another that
occurs to me is the possibility that AM radio declines further in
listeners, and a growing number of commercial stations die.  Coupled with
a recession, that may make the price of AM stations drop to affordable
levels, which might make room for more people like Bob Bittner, and
perhaps even make the AM band the place for a new wave of innovation and
community broadcasting.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/