Re: WADN tower location

At 03:12 PM 6/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>A question with the hope that someone on the list may know the exact
>answer.
>(I'm thinking Dan Strassburg might know this.)
>
>Where exactly are the towers for WNFT (1150)? I have seen two sets of
>towers
>off Route 2 in Lexington, and I am wondering which ones are belonging to
>WNFT
>and which ones belong to WNRB (1510), if its transmitter site is even
>visible
>from Route 2.

I don't believe that you can see the WNRB towers from Route 2. WNRB's towers
are in the parking lot of the 411 Waveley Oaks Rd Industrial Park in
Waltham, just south of Trapelo Rd and west of Waverley Sq at the Belmont
line. In front of the Industrial Park, Waverley Oaks Rd is Route 60. The
location isn't that far from Lexington, but I think only part of Lexington
from which you can see the towers is right near the Belmont line. From 411
Waverley Oaks Rd, to get to Lexington as the crow flies, you have to go
about 1-1/2 miles northwest across the Walter E Furnald State School
property. WNRB has four 340' towers in a parallelogram array. The towers are
kind of down in a little valley, so from a distance, you can get the
impression that they aren't as tall as they really are. At night, the east
and west towers are illuminated.

The WNFT site is on Concord Ave on the Lexington-Belmont line. The towers
are a prominent landmark as you drive along Route 2. They are just south of
Route 2 and west of Routes 4 and 225 (Exit 56 off Route 2, I believe). There
are three 270' square cross-section self-supporting AM towers on a northwest
by southeast line and one taller guy-supported square cross-section FM tower
north of the other three. At night, the westernmost of the three AM towers
is not illuminated.

There are two other non-broadcast towers in the area. One is at the DPW
facility northeast of the intersection of Route 2 and Routes 4 and 225. This
is a short self-supporting tower that is pretty hard to confuse with a
broadcast tower. The other is south of Route 2 and west of WNFT, probably in
Waltham. I don't know what its purpose is, but I think this tower is on
state land, though not the Furnald School property, as far as I know. This
is a guy-supported tower that could be confused with a broadcast tower. It
is illuminated at night. From my neighborhood at night, this tower appears
to be part of the WNFT array, as it appears to be the same height as the two
illuminated AM towers and it appears to be equally spaced from those two
towers. This is an optical illusion. The tower is not as tall as WNFT's
towers and is much further away; it just sits on higher ground.

As for WADN, it has four towers. They are located off Knox Trail Rd in E
Acton just over the Concord line. The WADN studios are located at the rear
of the Concord Office Center building on the same road. In fact, the Concord
Office Center is the driveway just before the road to the WADN TX. The
towers are 200' high, guy supported, and not illuminated. Three of them are
equally spaced on a due east-west line. The fourth tower is north and
slightly east of the easternmost of the other three towers. If you drive
along Route 62 between W Concord and Maynard and keep a sharp eye peeled to
the south of the road, you may spot the top of at least one of the towers.
They are pretty well obstructed by the trees.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205