Re: WCBS-FM

At 10:34 AM 6/12/98 -0400, Bill O'Neill wrote:
>>Some people (including myself) diss WODS because of their audio chain.
>>Their compression make the station unlistenable after just a few songs.
>
>A gnat could crawl (or even tip-toe) across the open mike and deliver 100%!

I hate to say it, but I kind of like their heavy compression...it gives it
a more authentic sound than some of the more lightly-processed oldies
stations. I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s when heavy compression was
the rule...WRKO, WMEX, WABC...all legendary stations...used a TON of
compression...you never heard a song fade on air (and not just because of
tight board work either)!  I also like how they'll occasionally use the
single mix of a song, even though it's in mono where the stereo mix sounds
phony.  I wish more oldies stations would do this instead of just using
what's on the TM Century GoldDisc.

I'd rather see an oldies station re-create the "sound" of Top 40's golden
era as opposed to hearing a bunch of 60 year old jocks still on the air.
YMMV