Pursuing minority broadcasters

<< On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Mark Shneyder wrote:

  In this regard, CBS stated that it would actively pursue the sale of
  stations that must be divested to minority-controlled entities,
  including those which would constitute new entrants to broadcasting. The
  Minority Media and Telecommunications Council ("MMTC") would assist CBS
  in the search for minority-controlled buyers. >>

I have seen some folks on this list speculate that Nash or Douglas may be
pursued in regard to purchasing some of the CBS properties.  No way.  C'mon,
Boston is market ten, and CBS is looking to get the most for these properties.
I dont think that either Nash or Douglas have the kind of assets necessary to
do business with CBS.  These properties, even WNFT are out of their league.

If CBS deals with any minority broadcasters, it will be ones with some money
to spend.  I have speculated here previously that Heftel is a possibility,
since they are currently buying stations in major markets and flipping them to
Spanish programming.  Another possibility is Radio One, a company out of
Washington DC that owns urban stations in DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia.

More than likely, this "pursuing minority broadcasters" statement was made to
keep the Justice Department happy, and that eventually all the stations, with
the possible exception of WNFT, will be spun off to the big boys like Jacor,
ABC/Disney or Clear Channel.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks