Re: Not-A-Dr. Laura

>         For me, a much larger issue has to do with the fact that
apparently
> thousands of poor souls jam the phone lines actually hoping that she
will
> help them with actual real-life, and in some cases very serious,
problems,
> instead of getting real counseling. She never seems to recommend that
> anyone actually get any real counseling....

And another issue is wether the callers are being exploited.  They are
not offerred any *real* help in 3-4 minutes.  And they are *used* ...to
be part of a _show_ ....

Somewhat similar to how the daytime TV talk shows appear to be
presenting an issue....when in reality, they are providing geeks for us
all to gawk at.

Dr. Laura is a *show*....and the callers are entertainment.

What protects them in her case is their anonymity.

But let's face it, we watch Springer to see the "freaks", we love to see
a "car crash" in the Indy 500, and we love to see Dr. Laura "beat-up" on
a poor caller.

Let's remember the purpose of the whole endeavor....is not to
necessarily be committed to helping the caller, but to draw in as many
of us to listen as possible...and keep us listening for as long as
possible.  (i.e..$$$$)

Same goes for Rush.  (Except that Rush makes his purpose clear....)

BM