Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 6/11: CBS Makes Its Move

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Scott D Fybush wrote:

> The rest of ARS' Boston-market properties (WEGQ,
> WAAF, WNFT) are in a trust awaiting sale; despite persistent rumors of
> a Jacor Boston buy, there's no oficial announcement of a buyer so far.

And WRKO and WEEI.  And it seems that the former WNAC (WRKO) and the
former WNAC-FM (WBMX) will be separated.

> Two other New England
> stations mark the big 5-0 this month -- WTNH (Channel 8) in New Haven
> on June 16 and WHDH-TV (Channel 7) in Boston on the 23rd.

Since RKO General lost the license for channel 7, I wonder if it's proper
to consider WHDH-TV as the direct successor to WNAC-TV.  Would you
consider WCVB as having first come on the air in 1957?

> From the rumor mill: When Greater Media's WKLB-FM (96.9) and WMJX
> (106.7) vacate their current home in Boston's Salada Tea Building,
> will new CBS property WBMX (98.5) be moving in?

Is that the building next door to WBZ?

> Less than a year after fire destroyed his radio station, WVIP (Mount
> Kisco) founder Martin Stone has died.  Stone was hospitalized after
> watching AM 1310 burn to the ground last fall.  He was 83 years old.
> The WVIP license remains active, but there's no sign that the station
> will return to the air.

Doesn't the license die if the station is off the air for a year?  Or is
there an exception for fires?

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/