Re: Not-A-Dr. Laura

Martin J. Waters wrote:

>                Are these listeners calling her because they can't get any
> real
> help through their medical insurance? Or because they have no medical
> insurance? Or because they feel more comfortable talking anonymously over
> the phone? Or because real mental health care has such a stigma that they
> don't want to go to it? Or, worst possible case, because they actually
> think they will get better help from Not-a-Dr. Loudmouth in five minutes
> than from an actual counselor providing actual counseling? IMO, these
> listeners would get more help from flipping the dial and listening to Paula
> Cole, or almost any music, for that matter.

Well, I dunno about Paula Cole. :)

I think it *is* the anonymity.... it is a lot easier to spill your guts without
having to go face to face for many, I think. I wonder sometimes if there's a
market for a traditional counseling situation, only with name not disclosed and
a screen between patient and counselor. Ideal, no. Better than any call-in
show, yup.

Just my 2 cents plain...

- --
Douglas J. Broda