From: questions@mountwashington.org (Questions)
To: "'Ed Brouder'" <brouder@juno.com>
Subject: RE: WMTW-TV, Channel 8
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 02:38:47 -0400

Hmm, I'm not sure who has this mixed up, but there's a lot of =
misconception here.

Here's the situation as I have been told:
You were right in saying that WMTW sells the electricity.  The State =
Park buys power for the building, and the Obs pays the State.  I believe
=
the various transmitters pay for their electricity as part of their =
overall maintenance contract (some are billed for electricity used -- =
the Obs checks *some* meters).  The two engineers on duty have the same =
schedule as the Obs -- week on/week off -- since it's easier and safer =
for both sets of folks.  A future issue that is just beginning to be =
addressed is what will happen once WMTW moves its transmitter off the =
summit once HDTV gets here.  Apparently, the license would not be =
renewed if the transmitter changed.  I have no idea why, but that's what
=
I hear.  There's talk of using a low-maintenance fuel cell similar to =
what they use in some Antartic stations.

The summit is owned by the State of New Hampshire.  The area owned is =
contained within a 40 rod circle around the geographic summit, except =
for a small slice which is owned by Dartmouth College, which is in turn =
leased to WMTW and contains the Yankee building and the transmitters.  =
The Auto Road and Cog Railway own right-of-ways through both the State =
and Federal land on the mountain.  The land outside the 40 rod circle is
=
White Mountains National Forest land.  Historically, Dartmouth ended up =
owning the entire summit through various deals, but sold most of it to =
the State for the greater public good.

Hope that's close to correct...

Dan Chesson
Mt. Washington Observatory.

- --------- End forwarded message ----------

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]