Re: WMTW-TV Moving tower

On  8 Jun 98 at 14:45, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> In channel 8's case, it may simply be that they don't have enough
> space (or power?) to run digital TV from the Mount Washington
> facility.

   Hi Garrett,
   I definitely agree! Back in Augest 1994 while I was working for
the old WZPK (103/7 Peak-FM). I got an invitation to go see
the transmitter facilities for all the stations. I couldn't help but
notice how cramed each of the buildings were. Each of the stations
occupy a main and back-up transmitter. The channel 8 transmitters
were like two large grey RCA pizza ovens, with the assorted audio
racks. Just across the room are the WHOM transmitters and audio
processing, the remote gear to control the transmitters for WPKQ.
Which operate in a seprate building.
   Adding the sleeping quarters, kitchen and any other offices, you
got a crowded building!
   Another building houses the government, police, cellular, pager
and cable repeater equipment. Then having the weather observatory,
gift shop with a train stop and three towers around 150 feet each.
Plus a bunch of small ones. It gets pretty crowed! Oh don't forget
about the genarators and gas tanks that get filled once a month!.
   Marty Einstrom (SP?) Took me and a friend of mine (who thank god
owns a good 4x4 truck) on this tour! This man is a walking
imformation machine! We also had the opportunity to meet Marty's good
friend "Ernie Borgnine"!
   Garrett, if you get the opportunity, visit this crowded communi-
cation center! It not only offers a good view, but it's got one of
the most brilliant engineers.

                    Take Care,

                  Roy Lawrence