Re: Howie Carr

Really great points Steve and quite valid when you look at WRKO's plummeting
numbers and nose-dive ad revs. It is funny when you look at what they used to
do, with Jerry Williams on and what they do now with Dr. Loudmouth on tape-
delay (is it true that she isn't a Doctor? I never heard that...)
You are also correct in what you were saying about Jerry Williams and the seat
belt repeal. I know that Jerry's old cohort, Barbara Anderson, of CLT&G, was
really frustrated by the lack of coverage their "Promise to Keep: 5%" petition
drive received from talk radio this year and last. BTW, after the challenges
from various interest groups they failed to get on the ballot by less than 50
signatures. That would've NEVER happened a few years ago.
Also, if anyone remembers, look at the coverage the 1996 elections received on
talk radio compared to 1992. It was awful in 1996. And it was almost like the
WRKO staff didn't want to go to NH to cover the primary! Unheard of in the
past.
I am also in WRKO's targeted demographic (18-54) and even as a fan of the talk
format, I find it really hard to listen lately. The new morning show is awful:
Jeff Katz spouting lame wisecracks and Darlene McCarthy, in perfect dip-mode,
giggling endlessly. Putrid. They make Stern look intelligent.
As for Howie Carr, I can tolerate him, although I don't last long listening to
it. It is funny because he has always said that "The Chump Line" was his idea
when he actually stole the idea from Alan Colmes who had his "Graffiti Phone"
line for years before Howie was even on the air! The funny thing about the
chump line is that it allows the callers who can't get through, to leave
messages, often at the cost of the host. So it does have some redeeming
qualities.
Here's hoping the old days of talk, if not on WRKO, some other station with
the guts not to talk down to people, returns sometime soon.

Tony

In a message dated 6/7/98 4:28:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, steve5@tiac.net