Re: WRKO

At 04:57 PM 6/7/98 EDT, you wrote:

>The lastest rumors have ABC buying WRKO.  If that happens, I doubt you'll see
>too many changes.  Over the last couple of years, ABC owned talk stations have
>been very bland and uninteresting, and their ratings have proven it.  Look at
>WABC in New York or KABC in LA.  Neither station is taking their markets by
>storm.

But with Gene Burns working for ABC (at KGO; they've just shifted him to
7:00 to 10:00 PM), I wouldn't find it very odd to hear him return to WRKO. I
imagine he'd stay in SF and deliver the show to Boston via satellite as he
did with his short-lived gig on WKOX. Burns has reportedly expressed
interest in returning to the Boston airwaves, if not in physically
returning. Were he to do 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM on WRKO, I think he'd give
Brudnoy a run for his money. Politically, there is little to choose between
Burns and Brudnoy; they are both libertarians. And both are pompous and in
love with their own voices and rhetoric. Still, I think Burns is the more
articulate of the two, and, the less inclined to make a fool of himself when
flaunting hie erudition. Also, although Brudnoy seems to have toned down his
egregeously racist tone in recent months, Burns comes across as a bit more
open-minded on racial issues.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205