Re: Same calls since day 1

Scott wrote--

>Also, I'm just waiting for Donna to jump in here and claim
>WLLH as a descendant of WLEY and thus a more-than-one-call
>facility...

Oh that goes without saying-- almost none of the 1920s stations (except for
WBZ) kept their original calls, and even WBZ did time as WBZA in Boston, if
we want to be really picky about it.  WNAC?  Nope, they've changed.  WLOE--
gone, after changing to WMEX.  WBET-- when the Boston Evening Transcript
station began to have financial problems, the station ended up in Lexington.
Then the Lexington stations (WLEX and WLEY) ended up changing-- one to
Shepard and WAAB, the other to Lowell as WLLH.  WEEI has the same calls but
different location.  The suburban stations which came on the air later have
an easier time-- WLYN, WESX, stations that didn't get onto the air till the
late 30s or into the 40s.  But the early stations-- those that came on the
air in Boston in 1922-- WAAJ (gone), WFAU (gone), the late lamented WGI
(gone but not forgotten as long as I live), and WNAC (now WRKO) did not keep
the same calls.  It's quite rare for any station to maintain such a
tradition-- especially in this era of changing ownerships, where owners have
actually given up great old names (Westinghouse) and great old calls (too
numerous to mention).