Re: CBS swaps with Jacor but not in Boston....

In a message dated 98-05-28 18:26:42 EDT, mshbc@bu.edu writes:

<< However, diversture requirement for Boston still remains....Not for long,
 I hear. Strong rumor has Disney buying WRKO/WEEI combo for lots of
 cash...Stay tuned. >>

I'm not surprised that Jacor didn't swoop up the ARS/CBS leftovers.  Like CBS,
Jacor likes to pick up money-making stations, not fixer-uppers.  The only
solid station of the bunch is WEEI.  WRKO is a mess, so is WEGQ.  WAAF has a
weak signal in much of the Boston metro and WNFT is, well, WNFT.  With these
five signals, no matter who owned them, they would not be on the same playing
field with CBS or even Greater Media.

ABC picking up the AM's makes sense, and I can see a smaller group grabbing
the FM's and eventually spinning them off to Chancellor.  There has been lots
of rumors that Chancellor and Jacor may merge in some way, so Jacor could
possibly pick up the FM's in anticipation of adding WXKS-AM-FM & WJMN to the
fold.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks