RE: Poor Reporting

Dan Billings wrote:
Most of the stories about the satellite that went out of control have
said
that as a result of the problem, 80% of the pagers in the country do not
work.
This is not really true.  Most pagers work off a local or regional
network of
towers and the satellites only come in to play if you have service
outside of
your local area.  It would be fair to say that 80% of SATELLITE pagers do
not
work, but most pagers are not satellite pagers.

I have service from PageNet (Burlington MA) and my pager
was out of commission in both Mass & NH until 10:00 this
morning.  WBZ's story said that paging companies like
PAGENET rely on the satellite to distribute pages to their
tower locations.

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com