Re: More Media overkill

Dan B wrote--
>Tonight's NBC News devoted more than half of the broadcast to the death of
>Frank Sinatra.  The last minute of the news was My Way and a video montage of
>Sinatra.  Is this what a news broadcast should be?

First we have endless rumination about Seinfeld, then we have endless
rumination about Sinatra.  Let's see-- the publisher of the Taunton Gazette
commits suicide as a result of his HMO refusing to pay for therapy for
depression, India is testing more nuclear weapons, Indonesia (where most of
Nike's and Mattel's products are made) is having massive riots... nah, there
was no news today, so we had to cover Sinatra.

Again, it's not that I have no respect for Frank (a great singer, a not very
nice person with regard to his treatment of women), and it's not that I
don't recognise the sociological importance of a phenomenon like Seinfeld,
but no kidding, the print media are covering the NEWS lately, while TV
covers popular culture... how bizarre...