No Subject

Subject: Marv Albert

For a time, it looked like Marv Albert would be returning to sportscasting
 as the new TV voice of the Miami Heat when Heat telecasts move to WYHS
 (which will soon be renamed WAMI), the first Home Shopping Network station
 to be converted to the "CityVision" format of extensive local programming.

However, according to reports today (Thursday) on CNN's website, that
 won't happen. Heat general manager/head coach Pat Riley expressed concern
 over Albert, and WYHS decided, under pressure, not to hire Albert. Eric
 Reid (didn't he once do college basketball on NESN back in the 1980's?),
 who had been doing Heat games on WBFS has been hired by WYHS to continue
 doing play-by-play.

Although the article on CNN's website wsn't specific, I would think that
 Reid, who also did cable coverage of the Heat on the Sunshine Network,
 will continue in that capacity as well.

I had previously read that WYHS was expected to capture over-the-air TV
 broadcasts of the Florida Panthers hockey team, which also had been
 previously on WBFS. If WYHS becomes the new over-the-air TV home of the
 Florida Panthers, I think WYHS may re-open talks with Albert since he
 did the New York Rangers on radio for many years, up to and including
 their 1993/94 Stanley Cup season---unless someone in the Panthers'
 front office expresses the same sort of concerns Mr. Riley did.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>