Re: Glitches and Brainlessness

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Shel Swartz wrote:

> But more than mispronunciation (which we are ALL guilty of at one time or
> another), what may be more important are the facts.  Almost all "facts" are
> what reporters are given via press releases, or by some spin doctor at a
> press conference.  We are told what the politicos want us to know...and no
> more.  A true journalist/reporter's responsibility is to log the events in
> question, and conduct i n q u i s i t i v e,  c o n c l u s i v e interviews
> with the correct people.  I believe that any "facts" given a reporter by an
> "unnamed source", or via some "leak" should be considered trivia or
> rumor...and that's about it.  Is it possible a reporter invents his or her
> own "facts", and says they're from some unnamed source, which of course, is
> not traceable?

I wonder to what extent this also explains a number of gaffes that I've
seen in print reporting in recent years.  Seems to me the state house
reporting years ago used to get the process right most of the time, and
often today, they make stupid mistakes.

As for invention of facts, having been active in local politics and dealt
with the local press, I'm quite sure it happens.  A number of years ago,
the Tab invented my potential candidacy for Selectman.  The
editor/publisher of the Tab, in a conversation, asked me if I had ever
considered running.  I said that I had, and that, at least this year, I
was definitely not running.  He asked if I minded if he mentioned me as a
possible candidate.

Well, being talked about in that context is always good for one's
reputation, so I didn't mind at all.  So the political gossip column, over
the next several weeks, had me considering running, but reluctant to give
up my position as head of the Brookline Tenant Union, then collecting
pledges of support, and finally deciding that I would not run because I
wanted to remain president of the BTU.  All invented by the press.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/