Re: WHOB Nashua

In a message dated 98-05-12 15:31:12 EDT, LJNF40D@prodigy.com writes:

<< Yeah, I'll never understand these stations programmed by what I would
 imagine is a 20-something PD who starts playing all his/her favorite
 records and album cuts.

 The B-106 format under Paula was all over the map.... >>

Why do I get the impression that Bump is equating Paula's age with the fact
that the station was "all over the map?"  For the record, I programmed a full-
service soft AC at age 25, and my station was the number two AM station in New
London County in CT, and the station wasn't even IN New London County.  In
fact, my station beat two AM stations IN New London!!  I don't want to get in
this age debate again, but judging ability should not involve age, just as it
shouldn't involve race, gender, religion etc..

I've worked with several people who have gone through WHOB at one time or
another, and, from what I've heard,  the problems there were not Paula's, but
with the owner and the sales manager.  I've heard stories from these people
that the owner and GM would frequently override Paula's decisionmaking, such
as adding and removing songs from the library without her knowledge.  The
station was also sales driven, with every possible feature sponsored and
billboarded to death, which is disaster for a music intensive station.  Paula
may not have been the best PD on the planet, but the station's dive had more
to do with upper management's bungling incompetence than Paula's alleged lack
of talent.

Mike Thomas, WERZ & Premiere Radio Networks