Bye, bye WAAF on 1150; Hello "1150 The Touch"

CBS has apparently ended the WAAF simulcast on WNFT. In its place is what
sounds to me like African-American-oriented, satellite-delivered music
programming. They bill it as "Boston's best variety of hits and
oldies--1150, The touch." I'm sure that there's a generic name for this
format, but I don't know it because I'm really not up on the names of
formats that skew toward younger and ethnic audiences. The music is
relatively inoffensive (no rap, for example), but, like the so-called Smooth
Jazz formats, it contains absolutely nothing appealing or memorable. To me,
every selection sounds just like every other.

The sound is much more laid-back and less in-your-face than WILD. My guess
is that Mel & Co looked at the underserved audiences in Boston and noted
that the one African-American-owned and -programmed station was on AM with a
daytime-only signal, and it's on the next frequency to the CBS-owned
property. Voila, an idea! Give em a programming alternative and a full-time
signal; it might even pick up some measurable numbers. Since this format
seems to appeal to an older audience than WILD does, I wouldn't be surprised
if it actually does pick up measurable numbers. Say a 0.6 in the next book?
That might be good enough for for a break-even operation.

I wonder who syndicates this format and whether it's available strictly for
barter. The national stop sets are full up--with the usual suspects (AT&T,
Radio Shack, et al). The local stop sets contain nothing but PSAs. I haven't
heard a legal yet to know if the calls have changed. I'd guess not. (Just
heard what sounded like a break for a legal; :55, music stopped abruptly;
voice came on, but just a repeat of the slogan--no legal. Then music
resumed. Can't tell if it's a different selection. As I said, they all sound
the same to me. Ahh, here's the legal at :00; still WNFT.)

Of course, this could just be a temporary format until CBS sells the station
and the new owner does something different.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205