Re: Outrageous skywaves...

Bump:

Plan on an overall outrage until about the year 2002-3 when the current
11 year solar cycle is expected to peak.

Sunspot numbers are increasing a bit even as we speak - the view thru
my Astroscan telescope this PM (solar filter attached) has a huge
spot almost dead-center at the sun's equator - and a fairly large
group of smaller disturbances attached thereto. A curious, large sunspot
is at the sun's northern sector with a very large area of "brightening"
around its perimeter, usually a sign of magnetic complexity or flare
potential. (Energetic solar-particles streaming towards the earth are
the real culprits here)

For the immediate next few days, we can probably expect some improving
skywave on the AM band as it has during the last couple of nights- but
the
probability of more geomagnetic disturbances - or even "storm levels"
influencing the ionosphere are very likely to increase in frequency,
and maybe a few northern lights display thrown in for good measure over
the next few years.

Bob Jackson
- ------