No Subject

Subject: Pirate on 1640

I managed this weekend on my Radio Shack DX-440 at my home in Norwood to
 pick-up the pirate on 1640 (based in Dorchester?) runing Haitian programming.

I got to hear them both day and night, in both cases, barely over the "hash".

I'm wondering if anyone on this newsgroup has any idea as to how much power
 this pirate is running.

I'm willing to guess it may be only 1 or 2 watts.

But given the fact that 1640, in the eyes of some, is the lower part of
 the shortwave band (and perhaps groundwaves and skywaves begin to travel
 further once you get above 1600 KHz.), could this pirate be operating
 with the 100 milliwatt (1/10 of 1 watt) limit that can be run without
 having to get a license?

I'm also curious as to how far 100 milliwatts can travel on 1640.

Any estimates you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>