Re: Sunday Morning Country Oldies

In a message dated 98-05-10 23:19:00 EDT, tc@chaostheory.com writes:

<< When I was consulting the station, Bob Christy and I both believed that we
 > should play oldies, but the rest of the consultants (Mr Hilliard liked to
 > hire consultants-- he had 4 of them...) disagreed.  It would not surprise
me
 > if the country oldies show got good numbers-- in research I have seen,
there
 > are many folks who find the current stuff rather bland and monochromatic,
 > and who really love the stuff from the 70s and early 80s. >>

Very true.  In fact, up in Portsmouth,  WOKQ took a big hit in the last book
parcially due to the fact that they were sounding too current, and did not
incorporate enough gold into their music mix.  WKLB, believe it or not, seems
to play a few more gold titles than OKQ although not dipping into too much
70's or early 80's material outside of the specialty show.  Still, KLB debuted
with with a two share with their move to 99.5, from not even placing earlier.
I wonder how a "classic country" station would do on the Seacoast, where the
country format traditionally does well.  It would be interesting to see one of
the AM's in the market pick it up (like ABC's "Real Country") and see if it
would draw any upper demo listeners from OKQ.

Mike Thomas, WERZ & Premiere Radio Networks