Re: WNNW on late (Was Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late)

>Ron Gitschier wrote:
<snip>
> Seeing Marty Waters could tame a wild Canadian Powerhouse (on 1110),
>made me wonder if I could to play AM policeman too. (ha ha)

        Knowing how WQEW got no help from the FCC to stop the Miami station
from its improper operations a few years ago, as Dan Strassberg has
reminded us, I still wonder about why the FCC actually did something about
the station on 1110, CKTY. WQEW is a major station, owned by the NY Times.
If the FCC just ignored it, you have to figure they really are hopeless.
The obvious difference is that with 1110 you're dealing with a Canadian
station and it's a different playing field. For one thing, the
international division or office or bureau handled it for the FCC, not the
mass media bureau, and not the inspections division (I can't keep all the
names straight -- divisions, bureaus, blah, blah).
        Another possibility is that the FCC is changing its attitude a
little. An FCC staff member said to me in one of my phone calls with them
that the inspections office on the domestic side has a new chief somewhere
up the organizational chart within the past year who wants more
enforcement. This conversation had to do with my ballistic missile-like
behavior last fall when WBGS, Point Pleasant, W.Va., was interfering with
WBZ. I also complained formally about that. The last I heard was a phone
call around February asking if I had heard the interference lately (no) and
saying they were going to inspect the station. That was the call where the
gentleman made the statement about how happy he was that the inspections
office actually was being given a budget and travel expenses to -- hold
onto your seat now -- inspect broadcasting stations. Whoa. Wonders never
cease. <sarcasm off>.