re: WHOB Nashua

>At 10:16 PM 5/9/98 -0400, Eric Jacobs wrote:
>>If Mr. Schmidt is involved,that would explain the secondary and tertiary
>>gold. When I worked for him at Oldies 99, the music mix involved a lot
>>of "oh wow" titles that were familiar,just not burnt by overplaying.

>Then at 09:48 PM 5/9/98 EDT, GF015 wrote:

>>I don't know about recently, but when Paula Stone was PD, she did have a
>>strict format and used a computer generated music log.  Who knows after she
>>left what happened.  But these changes are interesting.  I've wondered
when we
>>would see an 80's station come about, especially after all the 70's stations
>>across the country.

Wasn't it Paula Stone who took B-106 from a 6 share to a sub-1 share in
only a couple of books by dumping a successful CHR format for a weird
Alternative/Classic Rock hybrid?  It definitely happened on her watch.  In
the early 90s B-106 was becoming a serious challenger to Rock 101's market
dominance...I doubt it was coincidence that 'GIR began doing a lot more
promotions in Nashua around that time.  I never understood why they threw
it all away.  Granted, the early 90s were a pretty sad period musically
with most CHR-oriented music being either rap or alternative...very little
mass-appeal music, but becoming intentionally obscure was not a good
programming move...one the station has yet to recover from.

If the Ever-Newer-B-106 wants to succeed as an 80s Gold station (assuming
that's what they're trying to be), they're gonna have to play a significant
number of real hits (pun intended), and not a bunch of mid-charting songs
that only radio people & music geeks (is there a difference?) are gonna
like.  So far they're not.  Keep in mind that the 70s format tanked pretty
fast.

I hope they keep up what they're doing...it helps the rest of us in this
market.