RE: Urban Legend

SSfromEBRadio wrote:
>>> Upon contacting the telephone company we were informed that by
pushing
>>> 90# you end up giving the individual that called you access to your
>>> telephone line and allows them to place a long distance telephone
>>> call, with the charge appearing on your telephone call.
>>>
>>> We were further informed that this scam has been originating from
many
>>> of the local jails/prisons.  (As a public service you should consider
>>> passing this on to your friends.)

Larry Weil responded:
Not true.  Just another urban legend being passed along to the
un-suspecting.  Aren't there web sites where one can check up on such
stuff
before passing it along?

Yes.  Check out:

http://korova.com/virus/hoax980212.htm
(ref the phone scam)

http://www.kumite.com/myths
(ref Win A Holiday, Undeliverable Mail & much more)
(Excellent site.  Well presented.  Good links to others.)

http://www.urbanlegends.com/
(Apochrypha galore)

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com