Re: Urban Legend (Was: Fwd: FW: A Friendly Tip)

Non-radio content:

Somebody:

>>> Upon contacting the telephone company we were informed that by pushing
>>> 90# you end up giving the individual that called you access to your
>>> telephone line and allows them to place a long distance telephone
>>> call, with the charge appearing on your telephone call.
>>>
>>> We were further informed that this scam has been originating from many
>>> of the local jails/prisons.  (As a public service you should consider
>>> passing this on to your friends.)

Larry Weil:
>Not true.  Just another urban legend being passed along to the
>un-suspecting.  Aren't there web sites where one can check up on such stuff
>before passing it along?

Sort of true.  I was a first-hand victim about 3 years ago.   The
variation was that the
caller had us camp him on to another outside line on our PBX, giving him
dial tone.  We wised up after four days.  Bell Atlan... sorry... Nynex
said that it was a known fraudulent practice and forgave about $400 woth
of LD calls.

Michael

<michaelt@emtel.com>