Re: Stations where the sun never sets (Was Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late)

At 01:31 PM 5/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
><SNIP> Apparently, whoever is in
>>charge of putting on the log when to change or whatever procedure they
>>follow can't always cope with the complications of a new month or daylight
>>saving time or whatever.
>
>Also could be since most stations have a computer programmed to do the
>monitoring and pattern changes (Potomic Instruments, etc.) it could be that
>not enough attention is paid to keeping the sequencing/clock/etc. shipshape.
>
>I heard a story, years ago, perhaps myth, that some stations actually did a
>legal ID at pattern change because a good portion of the signal would be
>non-existent after the switch.

On a trip to NS, NB, and PEI in 1977, I heard several Canadian stations not
only do legals (which are a joke in Canada; only the calls need be
mentioned; naming the COL is not required) but do long announcements that
said, in effect, "It is now sunset and Cxxx is required by the CRTC to
switch to its nighttime directional pattern. Listeners to the west of our
tranmitter may not be able to hear us clearly until we return to our daytime
facilities at sunrise. For those listeners, have a good evening and a good
night. Please join us again at xxxx on your dial tomorrow morning at
sunrise." When WJIB began its flea-power night service, Bob would run a
similar announcement before switching to the low-power TX.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205