Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late

At 09:40 PM 5/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late
>
>>John Bolduc wrote:
> Last evening I noticed WMVU stayed on the air until exactly 10:00p.m.  They
>went off the air in mid syllable. Because DX
>conditions were nearly non-existant last night I was able to clearly hear
>WMVU with their 910 watts signal about 15 miles away in both Derry and
>Salem NH.<snip>
>
>Mark Watson replied:
> I stongly believe this late sign  off time was the first time (at least
>>in  recent history) they have signed off this late.
>>They have night flea power of 50 watts.
>
>It's possible that WMVU was heard with light bulb power. The station I work
>for, WYHI uses a mighty 30 watts, and when it had to be used during the day
>when a tube blew in our 5kw xmtr, I noted our signal 25 miles away. Seeing
>that there was little to no DX,  perhaps they were legal that night.

On the other hand, if WMVU is going to be part of the Spinners network again
this season, and the late signoff was a warmup (so to speak), the station
may have been operating with daytime power despite the late hour. I can null
out WBPS just fine on my SuperRadio III (even when WBPS is running day
power). Thus I can pick up WMVU during the day, but I can't hear WMVU here
at night regardless of what power they use, So I can't say whether WMVU used
daytime power after sunset during spinners broadcasts. I can speak for WADN
however. WADN _always_ stayed at high power after sunset on nights when it
carried the Spinners. DX News carried two or three reports of WADN creaming
KMOX from as far west as Ohio, I believe. WADN's compliance with the
power/pattern requirments of its license is quite spotty. Sometimes they
operate with night power well after sunrise. But generally, whenever Sales
Manager Rich Glynn sold a nighttime sporting event, the station would simply
ignore sunset. Although I sympathize with the desire to be heard beyond the
end of the ground system (especially since WADN supposedly runs 1 kW at
night when it operates legally), I think this callous flouting of the rules
should draw FCC sanctions. I have not tried ratting on WADN to the FCC,
however. My complaint about WRHC Coral Gables apparently using 50 kW-ND all
night and interfering with WQEW brought a prompt and courteous automatically
generated e-mail response but NO action whatsoever. Although WQEW's chief
engineer, Herb Squire, subsequently reported that WQEW's lawyers had worked
out a deal for WRHC to comply with its CP, the FCC apparently took no part
in the deal, and I suspect that WRHC may now be back to its old tricks.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205