No Subject

att.net)
cc:   boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org (Unlisted Name) \ Internet:

(boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org)

Subject: Another pitch for WBZ/WBZA historic site (Was Re: Adventure Car
Hop)

>        I'm actually interested in a serious possible campaign to get
the old WBZ / WBZA transmitter/antenna site in Springfield marked as
some sort of historic site. That's even though my original post here
about this a couple weeks ago was a dud (no one responded).
>        My theory, still being researched and subject to possible
contradiction, is that this site is the only one of its kind still
existing anywhere in the U.S. that is nearly intact, or even in
existence at all, from the very early broadcasting stations of 1920-21
or any of those that claim earlier origins (WWJ, Detroit; the one in San
Jose, etc.) Because of the unusual history of WBZ -- moving from
Springfield to Boston and using the old facility as a synchronous
repeater -- the Springfield installation remained in operation for
decades. Meanwhile, all the other earliest stations eventually replaced
their original antennas with vertical radiators (eventually being
defined in the case of WOR as in the 1960s).
 >       For some reason, Westinghouse never replaced the horizontal-
wire antenna on the roof with a vertical antenna in the Springfield area
. Abandoned in 1962 when they shut down WBZA, the towers are still there
(although the wires between them have broken; at least one is dangling
from a tower). This antenna is representative of those earliest stations
- -- a rooftop antenna, with the entire station, including whatever
primitive studio it had, in a shack built on the roof or on the top
floor of the building. Micro-trivia fact: A drawing of a horizontal-wire
antenna still appears among the images on the official seal of the FCC.
 >       At the moment, I'm trying to check out a report that, in
addition to the towers, supposedly some equipment remains inside the
building. I thought someone posted on this group that he/she had been
into the building several years ago and seen this stuff, but I
apparently didn't save the post.

  I think it's a great idea and I'm sorry I didn't respond to the first
note. It's easy for me to say it's great, being down here in the deep
South,
aka Maryland but if I was closer I give more than verbal support.
 I'm glad you voiced the idea. I have had similar thoughts but never had
the courage to put them forth, thinking someone would accuse me of being
on an ozone expedition. Somehow it seems to have more credibility coming
from another person.
 Unfortunately I have no suggestions for going about this but I do lend
my support and am willing to write letters, etc. to help the effort.
 Again, I'm glad you have put forth the proposal. I hope others will get
behind the idea and something will be done to have the site recognized.
- -------- REPLY, End of original message --------