Re: Re: Where Have the Radio Contests Gone? Or, Rocky, Call Me Cash.

In a message dated 4/28/98 6:37:07 PM, shel@lotsofun.com wrote:

<<At WFTN/Franklin NH around 1976, I believe I gave away $50 odd dollars in

Hihi-Lo cash.   For this mini-market station, that wasn't bad!  I think you

could attract more listeners by giving away smaller amounts of money to a

larger amount of people.>>

We also did Cash Call at WFTN-FM in the late 80's calling people out of a
phone book.  We increased the amount $0.94 starting from $94.10 after each
person who didn't guess it right.  I'd forgotten about this contest.  One
contest we'd stuck with is what started out being a fully supplied prize
contest from a national company.  I forget what the name was.  But we still
call it Spellbound, where we scramble up 3 words every day and 4 callers have
to identify the word to qualify for the grand prize at the end of the
week.(Usually 2 $25.00 gift certificates to area business.)  When we started,
the company provided us with a catalogue of many different prizes, good
quality items from Service Merchandise.  The contest is still very popular to
this day.

Gary Ford
WFTN-FM