Where Have the Radio Contests Gone? Or, Rocky, Call Me Cash.

My first ever shot at HDH was a 5-9 a.m. Saturday shift (file under those
days you never forget.)   At the first opportunity to run an HDH Cashcall
contest, I go to the phone book, roll tape, a guy answers the phone and I
(silly me) asked if he'd heard of WHDH.  He replied, in a very typical
Boston accent, "Whaddayu, retaaadid or somthin' kid?  A-course I heard
a-HDH.  Pay me one thousand seven hundred and thirty two dolliz pal.  Pay
up."   Shoot me, I was only 25 or so.  Then a guy calls from Quebec to
complain as to why the station didn't call Canadiens to ask if they knew the
Cashcall amount.  Can't please everyone.

Giving away cash.  Now, that works.  Remember the original 98.5 WROR paying
out "Rent or Mortgage"?  On a smaller scale, WCAP had the HI LO Cash Jackpot
that seemed to definitely pay for itself in terms of street chatter, etc.
The former 105.7 WVBF (F-105) used to do a cash call type contest, as well,
in the 70s.

Bill O'Neill