Re: WUMB

At 4:58 PM -0400 4/27/98, NORIAC@mln.lib.ma.us wrote:
>Subject: WUMB
>
>A recent post suggests that next week (May 6th, I think), WUMB will announce
> some major programming changes to get enough listeners to get CPB matching
> funds.
>
>This may mean (virtually) the death of folk-music radio in Boston.

I really don't think so.  To begin with, I believe (no numbers to support
this) that "The Coffeehouse" on WERS and "The Folk Legacy with Dick
Pleasants" on WGBH probably both get more listeners than the average on
WUMB during folk programming.  If nothing else, both of these stations have
better signals than WUMB.

My speculation (and hope) is that WUMB will retain folk music for a large
part of the day, but will also try to resurect the concept of the "Music
America" program formerly on WGBH, although probably with a different host.

I doubt that they will go to a format that includes more NPR talk programs,
given the failure of their recent attempt at airing "All Things
Considered," albeit at a different time from when other stations were aring
it.

We will all know soon.  And yes, it is at 9 AM on May 6 (Wed) that they
will be making the announcement.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH