Re: Easy listening

In a message dated 98-04-24 21:09:36 EDT, BRUCES@boston.cbs.com writes:

<< Why can't Boston support an FM with a WQEW (NYC) or WDUV (Tampa) easy
 listening playlist?   I really miss having that option on the dial.  Seems
  like a niche that someone could fill as WJIB FM did years ago.

Simply because such formats don't make money.  And large (greedy?)
corporations (know of any of those?) who own nearly all the FM stations want
to do one thing....  make money...  lots of it.    Older demos that WQEW, WJIB
(AM or FM) brings doesn't fit the bill.  Retail-America wants people to buy
things on credit (not just the use of credit cards, but rather stretched
payments), and the older demos usually pay cash.  And then there's that rumour
that 60+ don't buy hardly anything at all.   And even if they do, the 28-year-
old media buyers at ad agencies don't want to hear it, or better said,  they
are totally incognizant of anyone over 50.

WJIB-FM discontinued for the above reasons.   WQEW is owned by a big
corporation, but one which has had a rare history of providing good radio
service.  WQEW and other stations like it, such as most of the "Music Of Your
Life" stations (WXKS-AM locally) do NOT make money if they are standalones.
However they provide a "Boost" to the co-owned FM station, where ratings #'s
are totalled in any given market.  But even those AM's with co-owned FM's
usually don't hold their own.  There are a few exceptions, but very few.

You are aware of WQEW, and many others are, too, but WQEW 's listenership is
spread thin across the northeast, not a good formula for any one market.
While most people praise WQEW including myself, we know that if anyone else
were to buy the station, we 'd see a new format there.

Good radio is almost always done by individuals or groups who place good radio
above the hunger for $$$$$.  These people are getting fewer and fewer all the
time, as they sell out to the big corps.

- ----jibguy