Re: Community Radio

I for one am a supporter of "community radio" and almost but not quite,
supportive of pirate radio...because when done right, pirate radio is
what community radio is all about...minus the license.

If it were affordable, I would be willing to help support the purchase
of a "community radio station"...such stations that come to mind are
WHAV Haverhill and WHTB Fall River, both of which are not for sale.  I
mention those two because I've worked at both stations and know the
value of mentioning listeners birthdays on the morning show and saying
hi to the DPW crew doing street work in the other part of town.  It's
not a monetary value, its a dedicated listenership.

Another thing about dedicated listenership...older radio listeners.
Older listeners aren't as fickle about listening to the radio...they
don't simply turn the dial when a "bad" song comes on...mainly because
they're not listening for the music...they're listening for the company
and the enjoyment of having a friend with them throughout the day.
That friend is radio.

When I worked at the two AM'ers listed above...you wouldn't believe the
amount of older people who would come up to me at a remote and say
something like..."I listen to you every morning."  Or, when my wife was
pregnant with our first child, people would ask how she was doing.  When
the morning man's child was born, I think he received more gifts from
listeners than from his family...that's because the listeners from
"local, community" radio stations are like family, only you don't want
to avoid them at cookouts :)

There is a place for community radio...if it were only affordable enough
to accomplish....

Marc Lemay