Re: let's be civil...

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 02:06:40 -0400 Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
writes:

>First, I love this list and everyone on it, but whenever it deteriorates
>into name-calling (or wishing for people's demise), it strikes me as
very
>counter-productive.  Radio has enough problems-- if we can spend our
>time addressing them and offering some solutions, that is a better use
of  the
>bandwidth, it seems to me.

Well said.

>The big question for all of us as the population ages is:  what does
TODAY'S
>50 year old want?  We know what they used to want, but the boomers are
>quite different from the older adults of generations past... program
directors
>will have to really do some serious thinking about that 50+  demographic
as
>more and more people move into it, and ad agencies too will be forced to
>look at it.  What happens next could be very interesting...

I'm 46 years old.  I don't believe that we will ever see a return to a
full service AC like WHDH.  But I do wonder wether older skewed music on
FM could be successful.  There have been many occasions where it has been
successful.  WABY-FM in Albany comes to mind.  I'd be willing to bet that
WQEW, a finely executed and formatted station, would do OK if they were
on FM.  (They are holding there own on AM.  But, it would probably happen
on a Class A frequency, a station willing to take a chance.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]