AM vs FM as a generational issue ( Was: Re: WSRO)

At 10:05 AM 4/23/98 -0400, Terrence M. Wood wrote:
>You know this is getting too personal a subject, I too am nearing 60, I
>don't listen very often to FM simply because it is usually boring radio, no
>personality to it, the music is mostly geared toward the 12-24 age group and
>just not my cup of tea.  I do listen occasionally to some FM stations that
>do play the Oldies, some Jazz and yes, beautiful music.  But unlike the
>12 -24 yr old general audience, I want to hear news, weather and talk.  I
>want to get educated about the local, National, and the World.  I also read
>newspapers, not the Sports or Supermarket Tabloids. I want to know whats
>going on around me.  I really don't care about the commercial free music
>hours, which is what most "kids" look for on FM,  So tell me boys, how do
>these stations make money, most people who listen to FM change The Dial when
>a commecial comes on.

Terry, it does sound like you are the ideal listener for the NPR affiliated
stations on FM, especially WBUR.  After all, the NPR newscasts do tend to
concentrate on the subjects you mention, especially being educated on world
and national issues, whereas most AM news is just local headlines, weather,
and traffic, repeated ad nauseum.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH