Re: WSRO

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, MikeHemeon wrote:

> This is true, but sponsors usually are looking for people 18-54 that still
> "buy stuff".

People don't buy things when they get older?  Funny, my mother, who will
be 87 next month, just bought a new TV.  Earlier, she got a VCR, and most
recently, she got a new TV stand because her old one didn't have a VCR
shelf.

But people seem to have prejudices against older people.  She says that
store clerks sometimes are impolite to her, and she thinks it's because
they don't want to talk to an old lady.  Several years ago, I was with her
as she bought an item at radio shack.  She was the one who looked at the
merchandise, made a decision, and paid for the purchase.  But the store
clerk thanked ME!

Well, the teenagers who used to swoon for Elvis are over 50 now, as are
many of the campus radicals who wouldn't trust anyone over 30.  The
demographics being what they are, if the industry keeps aiming at people
in their 20s, they're going to be aiming at a smaller population, while
they ignore the larger numbers of people who really can "buy stuff."

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/