Re: Tower comes down in Utica, NY--on purpose

> At 12:10 AM 4/20/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >I saw a story on tonight's late news about a 1,200-foot, WWII-era
> >defense tower in Utica, NY being demolished.  The estimated weight
> >of the structure was two million pounds.  It was interesting to see a
> >tower come down due to human intervention for a change!
> >
> And you mean that Scott and Garrett weren't there rolling videotape? And
> it's only a three-hour drive from Rochester.

It pains me to admit this, but...I didn't have any idea they were going
to be doing this!  In fact, the first *I* knew about it was when I
saw the video on our NBC affiliate's late news last night.

Now I'm trying to figure out just where this tower was.  I've spent
enough time in and around Utica to think that I'd know if there were
a 1200 footer in town.  Perhaps it was up at the old air force
base in Rome, and the network feed just tagged it "Utica" because
that's where the affiliate was?

I know someone who works at WKTV in Utica; investigation to follow.

- -s