Whitley (was Re: Subject: The Future of 890.)

At 03:09 AM 4/18/98 +0000, Dan Strassberg wrote:

>I've lost track of the stations on which Pat Whitley broadcasts his Sunday
>restaurant show. Since that show originates from WRKO (brokered time), the
>other stations are not on board to add coverage. Rather, it's an opportunity
>for the smaller stations to pick up revenue from local eateries. I suspect
>that Whitley sells the time for the affils, records the spots that run
>during the programs on the affils, and takes a nice cut for his effort.

I'm not sure of what, if any compensation Whitley receives for affiliates
carrying his show, but he definitely does not sell the time for the local
stations.  They are sold by the individual stations' sales staffs, though
Whitley usually voices the actual spots (to make it appear as if the show
is local).  He may get a % of sales for the show, not sure on that.

As far as I know, the only costs the local affiliates have for the show are
ISDN line charges.