Re: WIRY and WENT

At 09:20 AM 4/16/98 -0400, Gavin B. Burt wrote:
>Somebody here mentioned of the good local radio on WIRY (AM 1340
>Plattsburgh, N.Y.) as well as the fact that they are one of the few stations
>that still uses records.  Of the 5 commercial radio stations licensed to
>Plattsburgh, WIRY is the only one still tied to Plattsburgh and not
>Burlington, Vt.  One station that really reminds me of WIRY is WENT (AM 1340
>Gloversville, N.Y.).  WENT is all live and local, still uses records, and
>has strong ties to the community.  The studios and offices for both WIRY and
>WENT are not much bigger than my house, but the product these stations offer
>is becoming an endangered species.  If there is no other excuse to drive to
>Gloversville or Plattsburgh from Albany, WIRY and WENT are good excuses for
>the drive.

I have to admit that as bad as these stations sound (and no one can call
these stations professional-sounding) there is a special place in my mind,
at least as a radio geek for this type of hokey small-market radio.  In
this day & age I don't see how it can succeed in anything but small,
relatively isolated markets, and I'm sure that it's a struggle to stay in
the black....I can't imagine their spot rate is much more than $10/spot.
My guess is that either pro sports or "guilt programming" (ie high school
sports, etc) is bringing in the lion's share of the revenue.

I've never heard WENT, but I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that
way.