No Subject

Subject: Re: "Big Four" AM's-Or Not?

While the 590 signal (now WEZE, once WEEI) is quite directional, dropping-off
 around the Framingham area (to protect a 590 in Albany), it is beamed to
 both the North and South. With 5,000 watts on a good frequency like 590,
 WEZE's signal probably reaches well up into New Hampshire and coastal
 Maine, as well as to Rhode Island and Southeast Massachusetts (I think it
 can also be heard well on at least the upper parts of Cape Cod and maybe
 Martha's Vineyard; I don't know if you can hear it well in the Chatham/
 Orleans area or on Nantucket).

I would consider 590 a "Big Four" signal since it's signal travels quite
 a distance to both the North and South.

As for WNFT (to answer other members' posts), I do get it in Norwood both
 during the day and at night. It's obviously not as loud or clear as a
 50,000 watt signal, but at my home, it comes in better than WRCA-1330,
 and it's signal is a little clearer than WKOX-1200 (read: you don't hear
 something very faint in the background underneath it at night).

Were CBS to re-sell 590 WITHOUT either the WEEI call letters or it's sports
 programming, and it were to be moved to 1150, CBS would defineately need
 to simulcast it on one of it's FM signals (100.7?) to reach the entire
 market.

One other thought about signals: A TV news report last night (Sunday, 4/12;
 I think it was on channel 4) pointed out the explosive population growth
 in the 495 belt (the TV news report focused on Hopkinton) which is why
 many AM signals that as late as the early 1980's were adequate to cover
 nearly all the listeners in the Boston market no longer are.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>

P.S.: I made a typo! CBS of course would sell EIGHT-FIFTY (850). I was
 probably thinking of their onetime ownership of 590. Thus, that para-
 graph should read: "Were CBS to re-sell 850 WITHOUT either the WEEI
 call letters or it's sports programming, and it were to be moved to 1150,
 CBS would defineately need to simulcast it on one of it's FM signals
 (100.7?) to reach the entire market." . My apologies.