Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 3/12: Capstar Cuts Staff

At 09:14 PM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote:

>And there's more religion on the way to Ashland: W245AF (96.9) is
>about to be on the air, if it's not already, as a translator of WGLV
>(104.3) Hartford VT.

I assume you mean Ashland NH, not MA, though I wasn't aware of an Ashland in NH.

>And we remember T.J. Martin, who died on Sunday.  Martin was the
>longtime morning host at WAVZ (1300) in New Haven through the 60s and
>70s, and spent 1969 and 1970 at WMEX in Boston as well.

But you missed what Martin was _best_ known for. He was, at one point, the
husband of author Grace Metalius, who wrote the smash-hit novel Peyton Place
(in the '60s, I think) and based it loosely on the small NH town in which
she lived. Martin was a resident of that town and a DJ at WLNH (AM). He was
a character in Peyton Place (though I don't know his character name--never
read the book) and was later married to Metalius for a while. I believe he
also had a major drinking problem. He certainly sounded drunk on the air on
WMEX on a number of occasions.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205