Re: religious radio stations (was WEVD)

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> I can also recall a wonderful TV show in the early days of WBZ-TV called
> "Our Believing World"-- it won all sorts of awards.  One of the shows
> founders and producers was a rabbi, and every few weeks, one show would be
> about Judaism-- they would alternate, as I recall, so that each week, the
> viewer saw a variety of perspectives about western religious tradition.
> Sometimes, they even had some representation from eastern religion too-- the
> show was way ahead of its time...  does anyone remember it?

I remember that one in the late 50s.  It may even have lasted into the
early 60s.

There was also the "Eternal Light" for many years on NBC radio, sponsored
by the Jewish Theological Seminary, the school for Conservative rabbis.
The title "Eternal Light" is still occasionally used by NBC for Sunday
specials on Jewish subjects.

Locally, I remember the "New England Jewish Hour," which was really a
half hour, on WBZ at 10:05 PM Sunday.  It featured some cantorial music
and a sermon by a rabbi, which rotated among Reform, Conservative, and
Orthodox.  On television, there was "This is Temple Israel," which
featured Rabbi Roland B. Gittelsohn, sometimes from the pulpit of what was
then Temple Israel on Commonwealth Avenue (and is now B.U. Morse
Auditorium), and sometimes in a studio discussion.  It was on the third
Sunday of each month on Channel 7.  When Rabbi Gittelsohn retired, and was
succeeded by Rabbi Mehlman, the program became "Jewish Perspective."  At
some point it moved from 11 AM to 7 Am or earlier.  I lost track of it
awhile ago, but it may still be on.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/